Monday, July 10, 2023

A Favorable Distraction or a Time-Waster?

A very early theme of this blog was great expectations, which were closely and always followed by even greater disappointment

I met someone, who in actuality, turned out to be a child in the end. For me, he was a favorable distraction from the noise of life. When all around me I felt disappointment and sorrow, he was young, witty, and attentive. A reprieve from the monotony and gloom of middle age. Hell, he made me feel young again, and who doesn't like that?

But then he wasn't...all those things, that is. He became intent and singularly focused on having a physical relationship with me, something I was incapable and unwilling of giving. And in the end, he was hurtful and ugly. I had wasted his time, and he was no longer going to allow me to do that. His words wounded me more than I would like to admit, and what I saw as a blossoming friendship was tossed out with the trash. 

During our late-night chats, we often spoke of irrational expectations and the inevitable error in hoping for something never to come. 

At least this doesn't feel like the answers did a decade ago. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word of the Year: Perseverance

For 2024, I didn't create grandiose resolutions of losing weight, getting fit, or saving money. Instead, I chose a single word and built...